“Enhancing Safety in Medical Locations”
Since their development in the 1960s, lasers have turned science fiction into science fact. Lasers are well established in medicine and surgery, and dramatic advances can be anticipated in the future as developments continue at an ever-increasing pace.The use of lasers does, of course, present its own safety challenges and stringent guidelines exist to ensure organisations comply with best practice when providing end users with a safe environment in which to operate potentially hazardous lasers. Guidelines such as HBN-26 (para 7.120) can be met by the use of a laser interlock system which provides automatic shut-off of the laser beam if safety doors, covers or blinds are opened.The most effective option is to install the system right at the start of the operating room design and build, making operating room safety a priority from the beginning of the process, rather than responding to an accident further down the line.
Starkstrom’s Laser Interlock Systems enable hospitals to comply with best practice when providing clinicians with a safe environment in which to operate hazardous lasers. They are available in two models:
- ICS-5e: fully integrated into a Starkstrom eTCP providing touch screen control
- ICS-5s: stand-alone enclosure which can be flush mounted in an sTCP with an LED control panel
Illuminated warning signs can also be integrated in the Laser Interlock System allowing accurate indication of room use and equipment status. An important element of the system is that it can be “future proofed” and then activated when the technology comes on-line without disrupting the operating room fabric or necessitating extended shutdowns.
Touch screen and standalone control panels work in the same way to reduce training where one site has both system versions installed.
Laser Interlock Safety Model ICS-5e
Now supplied, fully integrated into the market leading Starkstrom eTCP Touch Screen’ Theatre Control Panel.
It has a simple, easy-to-use touch screen control panel and can accept to up to four interlocks or groups of interlocks as standard. Key features include:
- Interlocked mains supply
- Key-code operation to prevent un-authorised use
- Arm laser button
- Time limited fail-safe override option
- Automatic switching of mains, low voltage, or‘dual state’ illuminated signs
- Emergency stop circuit
- Can be configured as a locking or non-locking interlock system
- Automatic fault detection and shut down
- Indication for interlock switch status, reset ready, system checked and overrride on
- Dual-redundant fail-safe circuitry
Laser Interlock Safety Model ICS-5s
The ICS-5s has the same features of the ICS-5e but can be supplied in a standalone enclosure for applications where an eTCP is not available. Other features include:
- Surface or Flush mounted versions
- The ICS-5s replaces the touch screen with a durable, wipe clean LED control panel