“Outstanding LED Light of the Latest Generation”
The operation starts. The operating light is turned on. It is easy to set. Colour temperature can be adjusted as needed. Even the light field geometry can be adapted to the surgical field. There are no colour shadows cast in the surgical field because the light is mixed at the source, right inside the light engines. All this is make the operating lights from KLS Martin truly unique: marLED, the light of the latest generation.
Since 2004, Starkstrom have been the exclusive UK distributor of KLS Martin operating lights, which include the award winning marLED range. Starkstrom has many years of experience specifically installing and maintaining operating light systems in a variety of environments, including:
- Operating room refurbishments
- Operating light replacement projects
- Integrated within UCV canopies
- Low ceiling heights
- Integrated operating rooms
- Modular operating rooms
- Treatment rooms
- Mobile operating lights (for ITU or other areas)
Starkstrom offer the V-Series and E-Series Operating Lights. These are amongst the most technically advanced lights available and work on the philosophy of delivering the maximum level of lux at the coolest temperature possible. Although LED-based operating lights have been around for some time, marLED is unique because it uses latest generation LEDs which are smaller, more compact, provide greater light efficiency and use less power. marLED Operating Lights are not limited to lighting technology but are also based on a radical optical and housing concept. Its trail-blazing design harmoniously combines ergonomics and technology bringing an optimal working atmosphere to any state-of-the-art operating room. marLED has won several internationally renowned design awards on the merits of its outstanding optical and housing concept.
Note: marLED is a registered trademark of KLS Martin
V-Series Operating Lights
The marLED V-Series are a premium range of operating lights designed and manufactured to a high quality to give the clinician the versatility to control the light around the surgical field.
Products - marLED V16, marLED V10
Outstanding in Form and Function
The V-Series lighting system consists of the main light marLED V16 and the satellite light marLED V10. The two are matched in form to make a perfect whole. This makes it possible to position the lights side by side in a way that utilises the available space optimally which in turn creates room for movement – free space that can be used for other equipment.
The main light and the satellite light can be easily positioned with the sterile SensoGrip handle – located on the light head - or operated directly via the SensoTouch panel. This intuitive touchscreen panel, fitted to the cardan joint of the light suspension, gives you easy control of all the functions available.
The following key features make it easy to move the marLED V-Series Operating Lights:
- Cardanic suspension
- sensoGrip handle
- sensoTouch panel
Unique in Light Mix and Light Field Adaptation
What makes marLED so unique is its compact design with significantly smaller, high performance LEDs of the latest generation. Two unique features distinguish marLED from conventional LED operating lights:
- Light Mix- light is mixed right inside the ‘light engines’ and not when it reaches the surgical site. This means that marLED effectively eliminates the casting of colour shadows and contour shadows.
- VariLUX Function- enables light field adjustment to the surgical field giving a choice between circular and oval illumination.
marLED operating lights offer improved light efficiency and minimise heat development still further. The colour temperature is adjustable, allowing the clinician to work with daylight, warm-white or cold-white artificial light, In a nutshell, marLED provides the ideal light to let you keep a cool head in any situation.
Perfect for Integrated Systems
marLED V-Series Operating Lights can be integrated with a number of systems. At its simplest, the marLED lights are dimmable to such an extent (in the light output range of five percent) that they can be used for background illumination. Other key features include:
- Space-saving Design– creates free space which can be used for other equipment such as suspension arms for integration of other systems, such as, audio visual systems.
- Laminar Flow Compatibility– marLED lights can be perfectly integrated into laminar flow systems thanks to their elegantly segmented housing with aerodynamic lines, smooth finish and small air contact surfaces. These ideal features mean that the marLED Operating Lights perform effectively under air supply ceilings with low turbulence displacement flow.
- Use with Surgicam Camera System– marLED can be easily used in conjunction with surgiCam if clinicians wish to document surgical procedures for training purposes, make use of live transmissions or consult with external surgeons during operations. The camera system is available in different versions and can be operated with SensoTouch, marTouch integrated OR systems. Digital image data is recorded in server based databases. surgiCam delivers good quality images in SD and HD, straight to your TFT monitor.
E-Series Operating Lights
The marLED E-Series offers an unrivalled combination of economy, efficiency and security in terms of lighting and hygiene. The E-Series are part of KLS Martin’s GoGreen commitment where they design sustainable medical products that help protect our environment by reducing the amount of resources used and waste produced.
Products - marLED E15, marLED E9i, marLED E9
Innovative Lighting System
The marLED E-Series use the latest LED lighting technology with special microstructure for a homogenous light field, maximum shadow dilution, highest degree of brilliance (up to 160,000 lux) and colour rendition, excellent colour retention, a variable colour temperature (3,600K/4,300K/4,600K) similar to daylight and very low operating costs due to the extremely long life of the latest generation LEDs (40,000 hours).
Controlling the light can be done in a variety of ways all designed to improve ergonomics:
- Double-Tapping the Sterile Handle– to adjust the light field and boost mode
- Flush-integrated Membrane Keypad- has the following functions to control the light: ON/OFF, Brightness Control, Light Field Adjustment, Colour Temperature Adjustment
- marTouch Remote Control- in the absence of a Theatre Control Panel, the marTouch Remote Control can be used to let you control the operating lights and camera system surgiCam whilst providing additional information for users. An optional docking station can be included, with table or wall fixation.
Since the marLED E-Series incorporates no wearing parts, maintenance and servicing costs are completely eliminated. Furthermore, marLED E15 and E9 range help fulfil the sustainability goals declared by KLS Martin through their GoGreen programme. Efficient use of resource and a long product life helps minimise the environmental load and protecting natural resources for future generations.
Hygiene and Infection Prevention
The marLED E-Series has been designed to satisfy the highest hygiene standards that help promote infection prevention.
- Closed housing with smooth contours, rounded edges and inovative joining technology provide easy and efficient cleaning as well as outstanding laminar flow performance
- Illuminants adapted to medical applications without any visible screw connections ensure optimum disinfectant wiping
- Rimless front glasses with integrated gaskets (sealing) prevents capillary action when using cleaning agents
- Flush-integrated membrane keypad with light adjustment controls is easy to clean
Mobile, powerful, self-contained
Thanks to the low power consumption due to the GoGreen philosophy, all marLED E-Series Operating Lights are also available in a battery version for off-the-grid operation. Following a charging period of up to 2 hours, these versions provide light for up to 8 hours with a maximum output of 160,000 lux. The batteries (marLED E Battery) are directly integrated in the light head making the operating light mobile – ideal for use in the wilderness, in humanitarian efforts, in developing regions or in crisis areas.
Battery Backup for Operating Lights
Under general power failure scenarios, the continuity of light in the surgical field is the most important factor for patient safety. Without it, the surgical team cannot continue operating or even work towards successful “patient closure”.
A 24V DC Battery Backup System forms part of the emergency supply to modern operating lights. Under current HTM standards, a separate 3-hour autonomy system is required for each and every operating room.
Starkstrom can provide you with your desired rating (in Watts) of Battery Backup Systems for whatever kind of operating lights you are installing. Starkstrom’s Battery Backup Systems are fitted with a range of alarms and a remote test facility (usually connected to the Theatre Control Panel) and an under-voltage disconnect relay to prevent non-recoverable discharge of the batteries.
Note: marLED is a registered trademark of KLS Martin